We have all encountered broken eyeglasses at some point. In this article, we will look at some tips and tricks around prevention, and look at the best glue for fixing glasses.
If you cannot replace them right away you will need a quick fix to make them usable again.
Glue will help you fix them.
It is easier said than done. The frames of eyeglasses are made of varied materials.
Most commonly plastic and metal are the 2 materials widely used. While it is easy enough to repair broken eyeglasses made out of plastic, metal frames can be challenging to repair.
Often, glasses get broken at the bridge section. They can also break at the temples and arms. These can be easily repaired with strong glue.
Some kind of breaks like damage to lenses are difficult to repair but most can be fixed by glue.
Steps to repair your eyeglasses
A glue that works great for glasses is Gorilla Glue. It is made from Tough Impact formula and contains rubber particles that provide a tough bond.
- First take out all the tools that you need and lay them on the table. Things that you need would include alcohol, Gorilla Superglue, cloth, cotton, and screwdriver. You might also need a sink to store warm water and a towel.
- Ascertain the damage caused to the frame. Determine whether the temple, bridge or arms are broken. Check to see if any screws are missing or loose.
- Replace the loose/missing screws. Use cotton and alcohol to wipe clean the eyeglasses at the section where it is broken. Allow the air to dry the moist surface. After it is dry, apply Gorilla Super Glue at the broken section and join the parts. Make sure the pieces are joined in the correct position.
- Hold the frame firmly for a minute to ensure that the glue gets properly absorbed. Use a cloth to clamp the area where you have applied the glue. This will give best results.
- Let the frame rest for a few minutes. After the glue has dried, immerse the frame into warm water. This will enable you to reshape the temple and bridge of the eyeglasses. You can gently adjust them according to your requirements.
Tips to keep your eyeglasses safe
You might have been able to fix your broken eyeglasses this time but it might not always possible to do so. Follow these tips to prevent eyeglasses from breaking in the future.
- Keep your glasses in a case – Use a case to keep your glasses. This will keep your glasses safe when you are not using it.
- Keep away from children – Children can cause damage to your eyeglasses. Make sure that they do not touch your frame when you are playing with them.
- Store in a safe place – If you ever visit the washroom and you need to wash your face, avoid keeping your glasses near the sink. It might fall down and break. A better option would be to keep the glasses in your pocket.
It is never an easy time when you break something as precious as your glasses. With the right glue though, with some careful repair work you can get through until you can find time to replace them.